Craft Supply Shops in Petaling Jaya and KL
For crafters out there, you should know that there are a number of craft supply shops in Petaling Jaya and KL where you can get all kinds of craft materials depending on what type of craft you are looking for.
Not to be confused with art supplies, craft supplies are more for the crafting, sewing and scrapbooking hobbies. Most of these craft supply shops in PJ are spread out in the Klang Valley too.
This list of craft supply shops in Petaling Jaya is compiled from various sources and provided for anyone who is into the craft hobby.
Craft Supply Shops in Petaling Jaya and KL
The craft shops in the Klang Valley also includes Kuala Lumpur and is in no order. They are all listed based on what the craft shops supply and not the online stores which are quite a few out there.
1. Creative Cottage – One of the older craft shops located at Level 3 in Amcorp Mall in Petaling Jaya next to Kenny Rogers.
They are pretty decently stocked up but very basic imported brands. They also specialize in material paintings like glass, ceramic and wood.
Sells: All kinds of paints (glass, canvas, wood, fabric, ceramic), mediums, canvases, wood craft bases.
2. Green Daun Craft Shop – A new concept craft shop located in Damansara Perdana, Petaling Jaya offering a wide selection of dream catcher materials, beading materials, crystal beads, macrame, stamens, jewelry accessories and even the niche Steampunk accessories.
Green Daun also conducts Dream Catcher making classes and their specialty in feathers makes them one of the best places to buy feathers in Malaysia, with over 20 different types of bird feathers available.
As they only target niche specific crafters, they are one of the new concept craft supply shops in Petaling Jaya and KL.
Sells: Dream Catcher materials, feathers, rings, yarn, ribbons, embellishments, macrame, findings, jewelry accessories, artificial stamens, florist tapes, wooden beads, crystal beads, charms, jewelry, steampunk accessories, very basic stationery and many other interesting things.
3. SpotLight – Located at major shopping malls throughout the Klang Valley, this Australian company entered the Malaysian market in 2015 bringing the western world of arts and crafts to Malaysia.
You can find just about all kinds of common art and craft supplies here but be prepared to pay a high price. Their outlets are mega huge too – Imagine a Tesco for arts and craft.
On looking closely at their items, most of the items are imported from China, sent to Australia, repacked and re-branded and resold at a very high price.
Spotlight is a great place for party items and also themed events like Halloween costumes and decorations.
Sells: everything sewing, yarn, craft supplies of all kinds, embellishments, home improvement, fabrics, artificial flowers and the list keeps going on, but all are premium priced.
4. Maycraft Handicraft – Been around since 2002, this full fledged handicraft and haberdashery shop in Taipan, Subang Jaya sells quite a lot of items.
They also have a craft shop in Kota Kemuning, Shah Alam and caters to more knitting and crochet, with basic suppliers or other craft items.
Sells: All kinds of yarns, zippers, buttons, felt, knitting, embroidery, crochet, fabrics, laces and many more items in this category.
5. CzipLee – A chain of stationery and art shops across the Klang Valley where you can find your common stationery and art supplies that is suited for office and home. They do carry a good stock of different papers and cards.
Sells: Lots of paper, card, markers and stationery.
6. Star Taman Tun – One of the oldest style ‘anything-also-sell’ stationery shops in Taman Tun Dr Ismail or TTDI which has been open since 1986.
This double shop lot sells everything under the sun except the serious materials for art. You can find all kinds of entry level stationery at this 30 year old shop, a bit of this and a bit of that.
However, this is a great place to go for emergencies, for basic stuff only.
Sells: Lots of stationery, embellishments, ribbons, lace, cords, stickers, paints and paper.
7. Daiso – The mother of Japanese cheap things with stores all over Malaysia. You can find the most basic art and craft supplies among the strange and useful household items at their outlets.
Note that there are two franchise holders for Daiso in Malaysia, one being Aeon Japan and the other being individual so at different Daiso stores, they carry slightly different thing.
Meaning, if you bought a type of glue from Daiso One Utama, you may not find the same item at Daiso at The Curve.
Sells: Various basic craft, sewing items, various simple brushes and paints, rubber stamps, origami paper, stationery and lots of cute Japanese stuff.
8. Fun n Cheer – I call this ‘Chaiso’, the China Daiso where you can find all kinds of cheap China items but if you are the serious crafter, this is not the place to look for craft materials.
Fun Cheer has grown over the years to over 14 outlets all over the Klang Valley selling almost anything you can think of, from household items to some craft items.
If you are looking for festive decorations and so on, this is the place to get it. As they say, good things not cheap, cheap things not good, so you know where I am coming from.
Sells: Festive decorations, basic stationary, stickers and lots of household items.
9. Yee Button SS2 – The fabric haven of Malaysia, located in SS2 Petaling Jaya is Yee Button, a craft and haberdashery shop selling all kinds of fabrics, buttons and bag making materials.
Prices are ‘imported price’ as much of the materials are from Japan and the USA. For those into sewing craft, this is one of the decent places to get your items.
Sells: All kinds of fabrics, leather, threads, ribbons, strings and buttons
10. Craft Haven at One Utama Shopping Mall – This craft shop is located on the second floor opposite FOS Outlet in One Utama Shopping Mall, where it connects from the new and old wing along the main walkway.
They used to be two shop lots but recently have resized to one single shop lot.
Sells: Paints, mediums, wood craft bases, wide selections of markers, paper and card stock, rubber stamps, electronic craft machines, scrapbooking, stickers and a number of other art supplies
11. Art Friend – Located in two major shopping malls, Mid Valley Gardens and The Curve in Mutiara Damansara, PJ.
This is one of the most complete art and craft supply shops in Malaysia where you can find just about anything there.
Well, for the serious art and craft person, this is your mecca, but note that most of the items here are imported, hence quite pricey so be prepared to pay quite a bit.
Sells: Just about everything including Martha Steward products.
12. Popular Book Stores – Only the big mega outlets carry a range of craft items, but the most common types. If you are looking for special items, you may not find it here.
However, items like acrylic paints, stickers, craft paper, basic embellishments are found here as they specialize in mostly stationary items.
Sells: Most basic craft items mentioned above.
13. Yenji – Clay art specialist located at Ikano Power Center and a few other outlets around the Klang Valley. If you are into the clay art scene, this is your mecca.
They target to have seven outlets by 2017 and if you are looking for wood panels to paint on then this is the place to go. You can even custom order your own wood since the retail ones are reclaimed.
This list of craft supply shops in Petaling Jaya and KL is taken from various sources (Thank you to Haze Long for her very detailed list) and other numerous contacts.
These shops are mostly in shopping malls and remember that those shops operate from 10.00 am to 10.00 pm.
Regular shops operate till 5.00 pm or 6.00 pm are they close on different days, while some do not open on weekends.
If you know of any other art and craft supply shops in Petaling Jaya and KL not listed here, please leave it in the comment form below and we will edit them into the list. Please also let us know what they sell, where they are and prices if possible.